Welcome to Ringgold’s Winter 2015 Customer Bulletin. We would like to take this opportunity to wish all our customers and colleagues very happy holidays and to say thank you for your support over the last year – and over the last decade. In 2015, Ringgold marked the 10th anniversary since our founding. We are so grateful to you all for making us an integral part of your business, and we look forward to working with you for many years to come. Instead of sending greeting cards this year, we are making a contribution to Worldwide Cancer Research, a charity which funds research into any type of cancer anywhere in the world. Warmest
Expanded metadata in the Identify Database
Ringgold has greatly expanded the descriptive metadata associated with the records in the Identify Database by developing a new classification system in consultation with customers.
Ringgold began the process of expanding its Identify dataset by consulting with customers about the way in which they wanted to use and classify their own records for the benefit of their business. A schema was then developed by Ringgold for the Identify Database that included nine new areas of classification, each providing a high degree of granularity. The Identify Classification Data has now been applied to all records in the Academic sector (more than 40% of Identify) apart from the schools’ records. The new data will not replace the existing classifications, but will serve to greatly enhance the depth and utility of the Identify data and increase value for customers. The nine new areas of classification include:
- Economic Model
- Governance – the way the organization is managed
- Reach – geographical scope of the organization
- Mission – what the organization is trying to achieve and what its purpose is
- Granular Subjects – five hierarchical subject levels and over 800 subjects
- Self-Description – how an organization describes itself
- Fixed Hierarchy Level – nine Ringgold levels
- Activity Status – whether an organization is active or not
- Number of Sites – single or multiple
We are very pleased to confirm that we have now completed the Beta Testing of the Identify Classification Data and that Identify Database subscribers will now receive them as part of their weekly database exports; the classifications are now also included as part of the Identify Audit Service files. Click here for the full press release.
We are delighted to welcome the following new customers:
- VitalSource Inc
- Duke University Press
- Harvard University Press
- Cabell’s Directories
Frankfurt Book Fair 2015
Ringgold is excited to be presenting at this year’s Frankfurt Book Fair. Join us for ‘Metadata & Standard Identifiers in Scholarly Publishing’ at the Professional & Scientific Information Hot Spots Stage L101 in Hall 4.2 on Wednesday 14 October at 13.15-13.45. Or visit us in Hall 4.2, Stand M87 to find out how your organization can benefit from our data services in the ever-challenging scholarly landscape.
Ringgold invited to speak at Chicago Collaborative
Ringgold’s Christine Orr will join a panel discussion on Monday November 9 at the upcoming meeting of the Chicago Collaborative of librarians and scholarly publishers in Baltimore MD. Alongside representatives from ORCID, CHORUS, CrossRef, and SHARE, we will discuss the evolving importance of standard identifiers and data interoperability to the scholarly community.
Ringgold at #alpspstandards
Data Manager Phil Nicolson will be speaking at the ALPSP ‘Setting the Standard’ seminar on Wednesday 11 November in London. Learn about standard identifiers, metrics and processes in journal publishing, and how they can help you at this full-day session.
UK Identify Database User Group meeting success
We were delighted to welcome a group of our customers to a Ringgold Identify Database User Group meeting on 9th September, held in conjunction with the ALPSP conference. The meeting provided an opportunity for customers to share their experiences of using Ringgold’s services and for Ringgold to provide an update on new developments and also to look ahead to the future.
Attendees were interested to hear presentations from Keith Abbott, Wiley; Niamh O’Connor, Portland Press; Mark Hester, Aries Systems and Alice Meadows, ORCID about their experiences with their respective Identify integrations. A useful Q and A session followed which covered general questions about the database, new classifications, consortia and future developments.
Keeping Identify up-to-date
The world of institutions is forever changing, and Ringgold’s team of 40 expert researchers keeps abreast of mergers, dissolutions, and other changes so that you may rely on the Identify Database as an ever-current authority file. In addition to ad hoc updates and an ongoing review of records according to their date of creation, our Data Managers review key sectors of Identify systematically. Recent changes include:
- Large multinational corporations: Systematic updates are now being conducted on all records with a Ringgold Tier of C5. Sample records include Unilever, Pfizer, BASF, and 3M.
- University of Texas System: Recently, the University of Texas Brownsville and University of Texas-Pan American campuses have merged into the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (Ringgold ID 12331). Identify now reflects this updated organizational hierarchy, and our researchers will also be applying the new Classifications to the appropriate records.
- Sun Pharmaceuticals: Following a merger with Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd., we have now reviewed and updated the entire hierarchy.
Consortium Directory Online additions
The complex world of consortia is forever expanding, and we aim to keep your sales and licensing staff armed with the most current details. We have recently added the following consortium profiles to the Consortium Directory Online (CDO):
- ID 435608, NHS Wales e-Library for Health
- ID 435635, NES Knowledge Network – National Health Service Education for Scotland Knowledge Services
- ID 435609, HONNI – Health on the Net Northern Ireland
- ID 436356, MOH E-Library- Ministry of Health Oman E-Library
- ID 436616, BV-SSPA – Biblioteca Virtual del Sistema Sanitario Público de Andalucía
We are very pleased to announce that Diane Cogan has taken on the new role of Vice President, Global Sales and that Jean Brodahl now has the title of Business Development Manager. We would also like to welcome Edward Haase to Ringgold’s Technical Team.
For quick answers concerning Ringgold products, our customer support website is available 24/7. Find help for all of our products and easy access to user guides, editorial policies and news. Access to online support can be found from within CDO, Identify and Validate. We are keen to ensure that your staff are getting the most from our products and services. Let us know if there is any information or training your team may need – get armed to drive your sales in 2016.